Hello People, I know I am not being as regular with the blog as I used to be, but I would blame it on the fact that while blogging takes time to think of and then pen down thoughts, it is so much easier to just put images of Facebook and Instagram. Both my pages are very much active http://www.facebook.com/stylecity and instagram-aparnakaistha.
However, I did go through and mark out a few stunning design elements from the past few design shows- namely from Dubai and Maison & Objet. Here is my pick of favourite lighting designs from the shows
1.Hugues Chevalier- Art Deco Style
2. Jeremy Cole- Ceramic sculpture
3. Hamilton Conte- again very Art Deco influence
4. Bellavista Collection- Combination of Moroccan & Indian Style
5. Stephanie Coutas for Baccarat- Just stunning detail
Mirrors can be used for a lot of significant roles in the home. It is not vanity alone, mirrors make for great statement pieces and are a great decor accessory which can add flair to any room. There are tons of ways you can use mirrors to enhance your space, here are a few.
Create Illusion– Yup! Mirrors are a great way to create illusion of space or make a dark room seem brighter. Have an entire wall cladded with mirror if you have a small space and want to create illusion of space. To increase brightness, go in for a large decorative mirror on the wall opposite the light source. It will reflect the light and add brightness to the room.
Wall Art– If your budget does not allow you to invest in expensive art work, mirrors work as great statement pieces. Get a large mirror with an elaborate frame and place it above a console in the living room or hall. Another idea is to put mirrors of different sizes in different shaped frames on a wall in either of the two rooms. Another way, create an antiqued mirror wall and then hang smaller mirrors in various frames on the wall.
Dramatic Statement– Instead of hanging the mirror or mirrors on a wall, you can also place a large mirror with a carved frame on the floor. This is perfect for the Dining room and Living room. But be careful while angling the mirror so it shows only the best reflection in the room. If you really want to experiment you can also have the ceiling covered in mirrors or mirror mosaics. In the bathroom, why not have a dramtic mirror placed above the Bathtub instead of just the washbasin.
Out of the Box– Besides the wall mirrors can also be used as accessories. Create a tray out of an old mirror, or use mirror to clad old furniture, for instance the top of a coffee table or side table. Think convex mirrors in various sizes instead of usual flat ones to give the space an attractive appeal.
DIY Ideas– To give an old mirror a new lease to life, you can do some stencil work and paint a border around the mirror. Or wrap a ribbon around the frame. Another suggestion, stick small mirror pieces or shells on the frame.More ideas here
Even though I am not superstitious, atleast no more than the average person, I still feel there is no harm in listening to what Feng Shui has got to say about the placement of mirrors. Since mirrors play a large part in Feng Shui “cure”. (Inputs courtesy http://www.feng-shui-vibes.com/feng-shui-mirror.html)
- Choose clear, non-distorted mirrors (no ripples) and no mirror tiles. Tiled mirrors break up energy and add confusion to the reflected image.
- Clean your mirrors frequently to ensure a clear image.
- Make sure that your mirrors reflect beautiful surroundings. Position mirrors to pick up pleasing views of the outdoors whenever possible.
- Place a Foyer Mirror to the side of the Front Door – never directly across from the Front Door. A mirror placed across from the Front Door represents strong repelling energy and can push anyone entering there right back out the door!
- Place square & rectangle shapes for balance; Octagonal shapes for power; Circular shapes for unity.
- Hang high enough to see your entire head; no chopped heads or the viewer may be challenged with a negative self-image.
- Place behind the Kitchen stove. A mirror hung behind the stove top burners magnifies Wealth.
- While working in the Kitchen, the cook should be in the Command Position, that is, able to see all entrances. If the cook’s back is to a Kitchen door, hang a mirror over the cook’s workspace so that anyone coming through the door can be seen right away.
- Use sparingly in the Bedroom for better sleeping; cover at night if the mirror is large or placed on your path to the bathroom.
- Avoid hanging mirrors directly across from each other.
- Hang above your desk or computer if your back is facing a door.
- Decorative mirrors are most effective when placed in a positiion to capture the reflection of a beautiful scene or object. With careful Bagua irror placement, you can enjoy a lovely view twice – the actual image and its framed reflection
Diwali is around the corner and being that it is the festival of lights, here we have selected a bunch of candles and holders for your to choose from..
Since we were talking about gold and opulence yesterday it is only obvious we talk of Chandeliers next. Deriving their name from the French word for Candlesticks, Chandeliers are the perfect thing to add, for that little bit of Drama in your living room or bedroom is you so wish. They come in a variety of designs and styles and are the perfect accessory to add to your home.