© Getty Images/LiliGraphie
Ripe figs are in season in late summer and fall, when they are particularly aromatic.
Fig chutney: shopping list
For two servings of chutney, you will need:
- 300 g fresh ripe figs
- 3 shallots
- 1 clove of garlic
- 0.5 cm fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or 2 tablespoons table sugar)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 150ml red wine
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 chilli
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 organic lemon
It takes about 45 minutes to prepare the fig chutney:
- Wash the figs, remove the stems and cut them into cubes. Then peel the shallots, garlic and ginger and also cut them into cubes.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, brown the shallots, then add the garlic and ginger and finally incorporate the figs.
- Caramelize with sugar or maple syrup and deglaze with vinegar and red wine.
- Crush the cardamom pods in a mortar, deseed the chilli and chop finely. Add the spices to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Allow the chutney to reduce until it forms a thick sauce. Blend them with an immersion blender.
- Grate lemon zest, squeeze remaining lemon and add to chutney to taste. Pour into sterile jars or enjoy immediately.
Point: Fig chutney is delicious as a dessert with cheese or as a sweet and sour side dish with meat.
Author: Alexandra Maul, Editor-in-Chief
“Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Web maven. Infuriatingly humble creator. Typical tv specialist. Music aficionado. Proud explorer.”