Colored by controversy, Malaysia beats India 4-2

CNN Indonesia

Friday October 13, 2023 11:41 p.m. IWST

Illustration of the Malaysian national team (yellow). (AFP/LILLIAN SUWANRUMPHA)

Jakarta, CNN Indonesia

Victory Malaysia against India, 4-2 in the semi-final of Partaibola Merdeka, marked by numerous controversies at the Bukit Jalil stadium, Friday (13/10).

Malaysia took an early lead through Dion Cools’ acrobatic goal in the seventh minute after taking advantage of the chaos in the Indian penalty area.

The visiting Indian team responded well after scoring the equalizer through Mahesh Naorem’s shot in the 13th minute following Sahal Abdul Samad’s heel pass.

Malaysia recovered immediately, taking a 2-1 lead again in the 20th minute thanks to Arif Aiman’s penalty. Faisal Halim’s 42nd-minute goal gave Harimau Malaya a 3-1 first-half lead.

In the second half, the Blue Tigers, nicknamed India, came back to narrow the gap to 2-3 thanks to senior striker Sunnil Chhetri’s goal in the 51st minute.

India managed to score another goal to tie it 3-3 in the 56th minute through Lallianzuala Chhangte. However, the referee did not approve the goal as it had not touched the goal.

In the replay, the ball thrown by Chhangte had crossed the goal line, but was immediately kicked by Dion Cools.

La’Vere Corbing-Ong added to India’s woes by giving Malaysia a 4-2 lead in the 61st minute.

In the 88th minute, one of the Malaysian players was deemed to have a hand in the penalty area. But again, it was no advantage for India to get a penalty.

With no further goals in the remaining match, Malaysia won 4–2 against India. The victory took Malaysia into the Merdeka Party Football final against Tajikistan at Bukit Jalil Stadium on Tuesday (17/10).

(sorry Sorry)

Cheryl Tenny

"Thinker. Food advocate. Incurable coffee enthusiast. Communicator. Proud student. Zombie buff. Tv fanatic. Extreme troublemaker."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *